Effective March 1, 2023, the United States of America has declared that it will expand the validity of visitor visas for Nigerians who intend to visit the country temporarily for business and/or tourism purposes from 24 months to 60 months.
Nigerians will now be able to use their visas for up to 60 months for business and tourism-related visits to the United States before renewing them, following the visa validity extension announcement. This extension will not affect the current visa application fee of USD160. The United States has taken this step to minimize visa appointment wait times in Nigeria, among other initiatives. Moreover, the U.S. Mission is offering No-Interview Visa Renewals to eligible candidates, and appointments for these renewals are readily available.
No-Interview Visa Renewal
If you meet the following criteria, you may qualify for visa renewal without an interview for B1/B2, F, M, J (academic only), H, L, or C1/D (combined only) visas:
- You are currently present in Nigeria.
- Your previous visa was issued in Nigeria.
- Your previous visa is in the same category as your current application.
- Your previous visa was a full-validity, multiple-entry visa.
- Your previous visa expired within the last 48 months or will expire within the next 3 months from the application date.
- You have all of your passports that cover the entire period since obtaining the previous visa, including the one with the most recent visa.
- You have never been arrested or convicted of any crime or offense in the United States, even if you subsequently obtained a waiver or pardon.
- You have never worked without permission or stayed beyond your authorized period in the United States.
For more information on this program, please visit our website at https://ng.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/.
Please note that the processing time for this program is expected to take up to two months, during which you will not have access to your passport.
Each applicant must meet the eligibility criteria individually. Minors can apply for a visa renewal without an interview only if they meet the eligibility criteria on their own.
It should be noted that the Federal Government has directed the full implementation of a new visa reciprocity policy for US citizens, effective March 1, 2023, following the approval of new Bilateral Consular Policy Agreements between the two governments.