In a controversial turn of events, the Appeal Court, presided over by Hon. Justice Baba Idris on Friday, November 17, 2023, has come under scrutiny for a judgment against the elected representative for Amuwo-Odofin constituency 2, Hon. Doherty Olukoya David. The decision has been characterized as one for which a significant price was purportedly paid by Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
Investigations reveal that following the clear victory of the Labour Party in the entire Amuwo-Odofin Federal Constituency, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) allegedly vowed to forcefully overturn the mandates won by the people.
An anonymous source claimed, “APC will make sure the forty members in the Lagos State House of Assembly are all APC, they will obliterate Labour in that house soon.” The source further asserted that the party intended to bring Rauf-Age Sulaimon back to the house, despite Labour’s initial victory in that seat.
In a suspicious turn, Hon. Justice Theresa Ngolika Orji-Abadua, who initially presided over the case, was replaced by Hon. Justice Baba Idris, allegedly to align with the APC’s interests.
While Governor Sanwo-Olu’s case at the Appeal Court was ruled in his favor on the grounds of being a pre-election matter handled physically, Hon. Doherty’s case, which had a physical court process from the start, concluded virtually with only Labour Party faithful present.
The alleged price paid for the controversial judgment by Hon. Justice Baba Idris was his elevation as one of the twenty-two judges listed for the Supreme Court of Nigeria. The Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC) forwarded the list to the National Judicial Council (NJC) for ratification. Sources indicate that his recommendation for elevation was bolstered by Governor Sanwo-Olu’s support, placing him on the priority list.
List of Newly Elevated Judges:
- Nwaoma Uwa (Abia State) – Priority 1A. Onyekachi Otisi (Abia State) – Reserve
- Obande Ogbuinya (Ebonyi State) – Priority 2A. Theresa Orji-Abadua (Imo State) – Reserve
- Anthony Ogakwu (Enugu State) – Priority 3A. Chioma Nwosu-lheme (Imo State) – Reserve
- Moore Adumein (Bayelsa State) – Priority 1A. Biobele Georgewill (Rivers State) – Reserve
- Adewale Abiru (Lagos State) – Priority 1A. Olubunmi Oyewole (Osun State) – Reserve
- Jummai Sankey (Plateau State) – Priority 1A. Justice Muhammad Ibrahim Sirajo (Plateau) – Reserve
- Stephen Adah (Kogi State) – Priority 2A. Ridman Maiwada Abdullahi (Nassarawa State) – Reserve
- Baba Idris (Niger State) – Priority 3A. Joseph Ikyegh (Benue State) – Reserve
- Haruna Tsammani (Bauchi State) – Priority 1A. Abubakar Talba (Adamawa State) – Reserve
- Muhammad Lawal Shuaibu (Jigawa State) – Priority 1A. Bello Aliyu (Zamfara State) – Reserve
- Abubakar Sadiq Umar (Kebbi State) – Priority 2A. Abdullahi Mahmud Bayero (Kano State) – Reserve